Equipping Young Hearts for Musical Worship
“I will sing of the steadfast love of the LORD, forever; with my mouth I will make known your faithfulness to all generations.” Psalm 89:1
Throughout Scripture, all believers are commanded to sing and to make music. Our Children’s and Youth Music Ministry is designed to equip all Pre-K through 12th Grade children and youth with the skills to musically worship the Lord comfortably and confidently at church and at home, and to deepen their understanding of the role of music as taught in Scripture. This ministry is designed to prepare future generations for lifelong and eternal music making!
In leveled choirs, children and youth will develop healthy singing voices, learn to ring handbells, improve musical skills, and develop and gain experience reading music notation through a fun, research-based music literacy curriculum. Participants in choir and handbells will experience the strong spiritual, musical, and social benefits of working together in a community of faith toward a common goal as they unite their hearts to sing in worship services, communicate the Grace of God, and participate in musical celebration with the congregation.
Through our hymnody program, children will deepen their understanding of Christ’s love and Holy Scripture through rich texts found in great hymns, song literature, and choral anthems. Each month we will work to memorize a new hymn.
All are welcome to attend our program free of cost! Because of the developmental and sequential nature of our musical instruction, we ask parents and participants to prioritize participation for the duration of the school year. We encourage all families to embrace the capacity God has gifted to every human being to grow spiritually and musically as they make a joyful noise in worship at church and at home.
“My heart is steadfast, O God! I will sing and make melody with all my being.” Psalm 108:1
Children’s Music Ministry Goals
- To increase confidence and joy in worshipping through music, participating in worship regularly and offering sincere and reverent music to the Lord.
- To grow the inherent musical potential God has gifted to each child by developing musical skills; including expressive, tuneful singing, artful movement, instrument playing, and notational literacy for the purpose of participating in individual and corporate worship through music.
- To deepen children’s knowledge of Scripture and the Lord Jesus Christ through the texts of Christian hymns, songs, and anthems that constitute the program curriculum.
- To develop the children’s understanding of and appreciation for the roles of music in worship and worship itself as taught in Scripture.
- To increase the children’s enjoyment of music and to encourage a lifelong appreciation for music through all aspects of the program, which is pedagogically sound as well as fun and engaging.
- To encourage families to enjoy making music together in worship at home and at church, as well as in everyday settings.
For more information, please contact our director of children’s music, Kelly Leibensperger.